Researchers for Open Data
We are a collective of think-tankers, academics, and citizen researchers who are concerned about data openness in Malaysia.
We believe that access to public data is a right as taxpayers and as citizens. We also believe that data is a valuable yet non-exhaustible commodity, and can generate a more transparent, accountable and participatory engagement process between governments and citizens.
Principles of Open Data:
- Data must be open by default – Governments need to justify data that is kept closed and make sure privacy is protected.
- Timely and comprehensive – Information published quickly. As much as possible, data should be provided in its original and unmodified form.
- Accessible and usable – Data is machine-readable, free of charge and under an open license.
- Comparable and interoperable – Commonly-agreed data standards.
- Improved governance & citizen engagement – Transparency to improve public services and hold governments accountable.
- Inclusive development & innovation – To spur inclusive economic development.
- For Malaysian government to improve the level of data openness in our country, particularly in light of the current COVID-19 pandemic.
- All data shared must comply with the 6 principles above.
- To promote a culture of data-sharing among agencies by setting out a clear guideline on data sharing.
- Address the concern of data privacy by including public data in the Personal Data Privacy Act.
- Deliberate a comprehensive policy framework that will strengthen our data governance, and ensure our right to information.
- Facilitate and support the research community in obtaining data.
- Malaysian Open Data Portal www.data.gov.my
Research papers, Op-Eds, Campaign, Interviews
- Open Government Data: Principles, Benefits and Evaluations (Discussion Paper) http://www.krinstitute.org/Discussion_Papers-@-Open_Government_Data-;_Principles,_Benefits_and_Evaluations.aspx
- Strengthening Malaysia’s Open Data Ecosystem: Notes for reform (Research Brief) https://refsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Strengthening-Malaysia%E2%80%99s-Open-Data-Ecosystem.pdf
- Sinar Project https://sinarproject.org/open-government/open-data
- MyRighttoknow Campaign, Centre for Independent Journalism https://cijmalaysia.net/category/myrighttoknow/
- Open Government Data for Academic Research (Working Paper) http://www.krinstitute.org/Working_Paper-@-Open_Government_Data_for_Academic_Research.aspx
- Accelerating Malaysia’s Open Government Data with COVID-19 (Op-Ed) https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/seac/2020/11/23/accelerating-malaysias-open-government-data-with-covid-19/
- Tech Talk: Much room for improvement in open data policy (Interview) https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/tech-talk-much-room-improvement-open-data-policy
- Evaluation Open Government Data (Radio) https://www.bfm.my/podcast/morning-run/morning-brief/evaluating-open-government-data
We welcome feedbacks and future collaborations. Contact us at email@example.com